Why Should You Use an Air Knife System?
Compressed air is highly inefficient and very expensive for drying applications and debris removal. The compressor horsepower required to create the necessary flow consumes an excessive amount of energy driving up utility costs. Consider a compressed air system used to dry product on a 36″ length span of a conveyor. Running 24/7, this system will cost over $1,434 per week to operate. However, utilizing an Air Knife System coupled with a regenerative blower, the cost is only a little over $104 per week to operate.
How Does an Air Knife System Work?
An air knife is a pressurized air plenum with a uniform continuous gap which pressurized air exits in a laminar flow pattern. The exiting air velocity creates an impact air velocity directly onto the surface of the product to shear away moisture or particulates without mechanical contact. This impact air velocity can range from a gentle breeze to greater than 40,000 feet per minute.
What are the Advantages of an Air Knife System?
An air knife system is a great solution for drying applications and debris removal that utilize expensive and inefficient compressed air systems. But that is not the only benefit; below are some other advantages of an air knife system:
- Low energy consumption
- Dry, clean, oil-free air stream
- Filtered blower inlet to prevent particle contamination
- Safe low-pressure air
- Increased production speeds and output for a quick payback
- Reduced sound levels when compared to compressed air nozzle or round tube design
- Reduce costly compressed air usage and utility bills
Air Knife Applications
Air Knives are great for various applications, including drying, belt cleaning, and debris removal.
Air Knives for Drying Applications
- Bottles & cans
- Food products
- Fruits & vegetables
- Meat, fish, & poultry
- Textiles & carpeting
- Wire & cable
- Coiled steel
- Hanging parts
- Extrusions, hose, plastics, & film
- Medicine vials
- Stamping, forgings, & machined parts
Air Knives for Belt Cleaning Applications
- Debris removal
- Sawdust removal
- Confectionery removal
- Food topping removal
- Liquid blow-off
Other Air Knife Applications
- Coating control of food & confectionery topping
- Reduce static
- Remove unwanted liquid
- Keep items from slipping through conveyor belt gaps
- Prevent hot air loss
- Prevent cold air loss
- Coating control of primers, glue, adhesives, & inks
- Crumb removal
- Pan cleaning